Successful Careers Aren’t Built Overnight
Young graduates often take inspiration from leaders and pioneers to model their career aspirations around them in order to help achieve ‘a successful career’. As career pathways open, first time job-seekers are being encouraged to embrace industries they are interested in.
As the leading recruitment and training exhibition for UAE nationals, Careers UAE 2019 introduced a workshop series which provided Emirati job seekers with insights into securing work and career development. Among the list of high-profile speaker sharing their success stories was, Her Excellency Sarah Bint Yousif Al Amiri, the UAE’s Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, who said making the most of the initial years in a job is crucial to building a successful career.
Minister Al Amiri and other workshop speakers offered the following advice on how to start forging a successful career path:
- Identify a job or a field that greatly interests you
- Hard work and determination are crucial to success
- Maximising learnings and opportunities in early years will aide your potential for career progression
- Don’t be afraid to tackle challenges head on
- Never stop learning through your career
- Always remain humble
- Soft skills and personalities are things that will never become automated
- You have 70 seconds to make a lasting impression
- Be consistent, clear, authentic and distinctive
- Take time to understand the person you are talking to as well as focusing on your own goals
- Most importantly never be afraid to ask questions or receive a feedback
Closing off the 19th edition of Careers UAE, one of the key takeaways from the workshops was H.E Al Amiri reminding job seekers of the words of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, to “always remain professional in everything you do and do so with the highest quality, effectiveness and efficiency”.